Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Quinoa Caprese Salad



One of our (my husband and I) favorite summertime salads is Caprese salad. I have made just about all of the variations of the tomato, fresh mozarella and fresh basil salad I had seen and could come up with...then I saw a picture of it with Quinoa in it. I have only recently begun experimenting with this wonderful (and completely gluten free) grain. I found my Quinoa at Trader Joe's, but have seen different brands in almost every grocery store I've been in.

I think I saw the recipe when going through Pinterest, but apparently didn't pin it, nor was I able to find it again, so, I'm not sure if mine is the same as the recipe I saw (I had to try to recall the recipe from seeing it for only moments a day or two ago). So, here goes...

I got a bit of a jump on the salad before I remembered to slow down and take some pictures! I used a container of cherry tomatoes and cut them in half...then sliced up a handful of basil

To make things easier on myself (okay, just to cut out a step) I bought the fresh mozzarella pearls - so it was easy peasy to just open the package an separate the pearls while adding them into the bowl

Yum, looks good already!!


Once the mozzarella is mixed in I add my EVOO and Balsamic Vinigar to the mix...


And now comes the newest addition to my Caprese salad - Quinoa


Add the quinoa to the tomato, mozzarella and mix in.

Mmmm...looks good!! I did have to add a bit more EVOO and Balsamic Vinigar as well as a bit of salt and pepper to taste.

And waalaa...a perfect side to some grilled chicken legs for dinner!

Quinoa Caprese Salad

1 package cherry tomatoes (halved)
1/4 c. fresh chopped basil
1 package fresh mozzarella pearls
1 c. uncooked quinoa (will be a couple cups when done cooking)
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. balsamic vinigar
Salt & Pepper to taste

Cook the quinoa according to directions on package (mine was 1 c. quinoa to 2 c. water and simmer until all water is absorbed - approxl 10-15 min). Cool to at least room temperature before adding to the salad.

Mix together the tomatoes, basil and mozzarella and add the olive oil and balsamic vinigar. Mix in cooked and cooled quinoa. Add additional vinigar as well as salt and pepper to taste (if necessary).

Enjoy as a heartier version of everyone's favorite caprese salad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment to my blog. I appreciate and encourage feedback and insight into how others are LIVING their lives despite their fibromyalgia symptoms. Please share my blog and feel free to share my posts so we can make the world more aware of this invisible syndrome!

Have a pain free, wide awake, full of energy sort of day!! :)